Corporation has introduced its first three grades of 100% post-consumer polyethylene resins. These three resins are the first of a broad portfolio of PCR grades that NOVA Chemicals is bringing to market to help brand owners and converters meet their packaging sustainability goals.
PCR Grades for Packaging Film Applications
The post-consumer resin (PCR) grades each come from a dedicated source and are ideal for a range of flexible film applications:
- Natural linear low/low density polyethylene PCR (rLLDPE/LDPE) is collected from distribution centers and is suited for collation shrink, stretch wrap and e-commerce applications.
- Natural rLLDPE/LDPE, a recycled agricultural film that is ideal for re-use in agricultural films, heavy-duty shipping sacks, collation shrink, and for e-commerce applications.
- White rLLDPE PCR manufactured from closed-loop agricultural and irrigation film recyclate, this resin is for use in agricultural film, heavy-duty shipping sacks, collation shrink, trash bags and liners and e-commerce applications.
Greg DeKunder, vice president, polyethylene marketing, NOVA Chemicals, said the company’s new product offerings are backed by industry-leading technical support, designed to help film producers, converters and brand owners incorporate more PCR into packaging applications without sacrificing performance. “We have a dedicated team with extensive applications and additive expertise helping customers accelerate their applications development work,”
DeKunder explained. “Our goal is for NOVA Chemicals to be a one-stop resource, providing the products and technical resources companies need to achieve their sustainability goals.”
Anna Rajkovic, circular economy market manager, NOVA Chemicals, said the introduction of these products will help brands meet their goals. “We’ve made remarkable progress in just the past few months
,” Rajkovic explained. “We’re continuing to expand our PCR business and collaborate throughout the value chain to help the industry meet its sustainability commitments and advance the plastics circular economy
Supply Agreements with Recyclers
NOVA Chemicals recently announced two supply agreements with recyclers:
- Merlin Plastics will supply NOVA Chemicals with FDA-LNO (letter of non-objection) high density polyethylene PCR available for use in consumer packaging, including food. Read the press release.
- Revolution is supplying NOVA Chemicals with LLDPE/LDPE PCR for use in a range of packaging applications.